The Mercer County District Library’s Genealogy Department continually strives to serve patrons from all over the county and when possible via email, people all over the United States. The Mercer County District Library’s Genealogy Room was created to make Mercer County – related books, newspapers, photos, family histories, other documents, and paper-based regalia available to the public in one convenient location within the library. These materials are accessible during regular library hours.
While many libraries, historical societies, and museums in Ohio contain extensive Ohio history collections, genealogical resources, and historical artifacts, none can be expected to maintain a collection pertinent to every locality. The Mercer County District Library assumes the responsibility to collect and preserve old and current materials pertaining to the history of Mercer County. In addition, the library collects works about Ohio and Mercer County that aid customers in understanding Mercer County history. The library also acquires resource materials of value to local genealogical researchers. The library has an extensive collection of Celina newspapers and court documents available on microfilm.
Materials in the Genealogy Room do not circulate. When appropriate, and as limited by budget and space restrictions, when the library purchases a currently published item for the Genealogy Room, it will also purchase an additional copy for the circulating collection.
The library has a Staff available to help with Genealogy and Research. For help with research projects, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mercer County District Libraries have computers available to access Ancestry.com Library Edition along with other Genealogy Research Projects.
For more information contact the library or contact the Ohio Genealogical Society of Mercer County.
Online Genealogy Research Resources
- African American Experience in Ohio
- AfriGeneas African American Genealogy
- Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center
- American Indians in Census Records
- Census Forms
- Chronicling America
- Community History Archive – Coldwater Library
- Community History Archive – Fort Recovery Library
- Cyndi’s List
- Digital Public Library of America
- Family Search
- Family Search Wiki
- Find a Grave
- Fold3 Historical Military Records (requires a paid subscription)
- French Genealogy
- Genealogical and Historical Sources in State of Ohio Documents
- German Genealogy
- History of Mercer County
- Library of Congress
- Mercer County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society
- Military Veteran Records Request
- National Archives Resources for Genealogists
- National Archives Ancestral Charts & Forms
- National Genealogical Society
- Newspapers.com (requires a paid subscription)
- Ohio Death Records Index Search
- Ohio Genealogical Society
- Ohio History Connection Archives & Library
- Ohio History Connection Collections
- Ohio Memory
- Ohio Pix
- Ohio State University Digital Collections
- Ohio University Digital Archives
- Research in the Land Entry Files of the General Land Office
- Sanborn Fire Maps
- State Library of Ohio Collections
- Wright State University Special Collections & Archives
Discover 44,344,926 images, texts, videos, and sounds from across the United States.